Many people commonly think of chiropractic care if you are seeking relief from neck or back pain. It’s important to know that Chiropractors are not limited to only care of the spine.
Most chiropractors are trained to adjust and treat extremities including knees, smaller joints, as well as the shoulders. In fact, shoulder pain is a very common complaint in chiropractic practice, affecting almost half of us at some point in our lives, as there are many causes of shoulder pain.
Common Causes Of Shoulder Pain
The majority of shoulder problems fall into four major categories:
- Shoulder instability. Shoulder instability occurs when the head of the upper arm bone is forced out of the shoulder socket. This can happen as a result of a sudden injury or from overuse.
- Tendon inflammation or a tendon tear. Overuse of the shoulder can lead to inflammation and swelling of the bursa between the rotator cuff and part of the shoulder blade known as the acromion. The result is a condition known as subacromial bursitis. A tendon is a cord that connects muscle to bone and most tendinitis is a result of inflammation in the tendon. The tearing of tendons may result from acute injury or degenerative changes in the tendons due to advancing age, long-term overuse and wear and tear, or a sudden injury.
- Arthritis in the shoulder. There are different forms and causes of arthritis but they sometimes lead to a tightening or stiffening of the soft tissue parts of the joint, resulting in a painful restriction of motion.
- Fracture. Fractures are broken bones. Shoulder fractures commonly and often can involve the clavicle (collarbone), humerus (upper arm bone), and scapula (shoulder blade).
Chiropractic care for shoulder pain
- Chiropractic care can be a very beneficial treatment for the patient with a shoulder injury or shoulder pain. It can help to reduce or relieve pain, increase flexibility, improve range of motion, and restore function to the joint. Different chiropractic techniques can be performed depending on the type of injury or condition.
- The patient will be assessed initially by the Chiropractor at the first visit and the doctor will determine a treatment plan. As is often the case, pain in one part of the body can actually cause pain in other areas. Chiropractic care addresses all areas of the body to relieve pain without medication and gets the patient on the road to healing faster!
The shoulder goes through a lot of movement in a day and the shoulder happens to be the most flexible joint in the human body as well as one of the most unstable.
Regardless of what causes shoulder pain, it’s important that you discover the initial cause of the shoulder pain so that it can be treated correctly. Your chiropractor will determine where the shoulder is so that it can be corrected properly.
Chiropractic treatment offers a great solution to help decrease the pain in your shoulders in a natural way. What do you have to lose!