Many of us have heard the saying that it takes about 21 days to make a new habit, while that may sound easy enough to be tolerable and can inspire you, it is sadly not the case.
The truth is that it can take months or even years, to properly build healthy habits, regardless of what you are trying to achieve. However, don’t lose hope yet! There are tips that can help you to be successful in achieving and maintaining your healthy habit.
Tips For Making Healthy Habits That Last
- Find enjoyment in the process. Instead of choosing a generic route to begin a healthier habit, figure out what you can do to support that habit and do it in a way that empowers, excites you and fits your lifestyle and personality. When you add your new habit into your life, and it is designed around things you love to do, it will stop requiring so much effort. Once you find the joy in living healthier and it isn’t something that you dread doing then it will become a habit you can maintain.
- Having the right mindset. Making healthy habits must start at square one, your mindset. Our mindset affects your energy, health, and productivity. A large number of people are being held back from their health goals simply by their mindset. It is only when we shift our mindset about our health and our daily habits then we will start seeing solid results.
- Set up your environment for success. One of the best ways to ensure your success is to remove any triggers for bad choices. If your goal is to make healthier food choices, the remove all the unhealthy options and have healthy ones at your fingertips. Leave yourself uplifting notes and affirmations so that you may find them when you are feeling low on motivation.
- Set realistic goals. Setting goals that are just downright unrealistic and difficult to maintain will undoubtedly result in certain failure. While setting larger goals may seem like more, not being able to attain them will make us feel even more like a failure and less likely to attempt it again. Instead, focus on small changes that will build to your larger goal as this will provide you with confidence that will keep you striving toward your goal.
- Make an action plan for when you are discouraged. Let’s be honest, there simply will be days when your motivation and will power will fail. Before that happens and in a time of strength, write down your triggers, weaknesses or old habits. Then write an action plan for how to conquer each of those obstacles. In moments that you struggle then refer back to the plan and put it into action, and refine as needed.
We are most definitely creatures of habit, it takes effort, energy, and intention for our brains to pause and think about doing things differently. Making healthy habits is important as so many of the things you do daily impact your health and quality of life.
Remember that things may not always go as planned. It’s important to accept that change is a process, and what matters most to keep moving forward.
Contact us today, our goal is to find the cause of the problem and correct it. We don’t treat symptoms, we treat people.