The past several years there has been a dramatic rise in popularity for the health and fitness industries. If you’re a new participant in a regular fitness routine or were injured and are just getting back to your usual daily routine then you have probably suffered through more than a few days with painfully sore muscles.
Don’t fear, therapeutic essential oils can come to the rescue! Essential oils can help you reduce inflammation, ease spasms, and increase blood circulation needed for healing.
Essential Oil Options For Muscle Soreness
- Lavender Oil. The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties in Lavender oil are quite effective for treating pains that arise from muscle stress and tension. Lavender oil can also ease swelling and improve blood circulation. It is excellent for relieving the muscle spasm caused by mental stress and anxiety.
- Juniper oil. Juniper oil can help ease tension and eliminates muscle spasms. This can be a huge help after a, particularly hard workout.
- Rosemary. This is another all-purpose therapeutic essential oil to keep handy in the household. Rosemary is known to have elevated analgesic properties and can work wonders for all sorts of aches, pains, and even arthritis.
- Peppermint. It isn’t a shock that peppermint is included in toothpaste, gum, and mints as it is wonderfully refreshing! This menthol effect on aching muscles can also be beneficial for. It is recommended to add a few drops of peppermint essential oils to a bath or massage oil for muscle pain relief.
- Ginger. As you were growing up do you remember your grandmother would make you ginger tea or give you ginger ale for an upset stomach? Ginger essential oils have a similar soothing effect on your aching muscles! It has a great warming effect on sore muscles, which helps with pain relief. It’s also very effective for relieving joint pain in those who suffer from arthritis.
4 Ways To Use Essential Oils
- Massage. Not only can these oils penetrate deep below the skin to relieve pain, swelling, and tension, but massage can also help work out knots and quickly release tension. Be sure to dilute your essential oils in your favorite carrier oil before application. Essential oils are highly concentrated and must be diluted before they can be safely applied to the skin. Fractionated Coconut Oil, Olive Oil or Avocado Oil are just some of the carrier oil options that can be used.
- Compresses. Compresses, both hot and cold, are known to relieve pain, inflammation, and swelling. You can boost these effects by adding your chosen essential oil to the fabric your using for the compress.
- Add To Bath. A bath is always soothing, relaxing and can help ease sore muscles. Try adding some fragrant essential oils that may help to further relax achy muscles.
- Roll-on. Roll-on bottles are a great way to carry diluted oils on the go and allow for mess-free application and used before or after a workout.
The options are endless when it comes to the uses and combinations of these amazing oils. You can start with what we’ve outlined here, but feel free to experiment!