The difference between winning and losing in competitive sports is often measured in microseconds. Athletes need every little bit of speed, flexibility, and strength they can muster.
That is why many athletes turn to chiropractic care when injuries happen. Often, they avoid more invasive options for relieving pain. Prescription drugs carry the risk of addiction and they can dull reaction times. On the other hand, surgery might leave an athlete on the bench for months or even years. However, a certified chiropractic sports physician is able to relieve pain without using surgery or drugs. All while keeping the body flexible, at optimal performance, and balanced.
What are some of the most common sports injuries?
The common injuries suffered in many sports can knock the spine out of alignment, causing stress on its pain-sensitive muscles, discs, ligaments, joints, and nerves. Research studies show that chiropractic care is more efficient at restoring normal function and reducing pain.
Chiropractors help with pain-relieving from a wide range of common sports injuries, from recurrent shoulder instability in hockey players to groin pain in soccer players, from elbow pain in tennis players to wrist pain in baseball players. Chiropractic care helps with,
- Ankle and knee injuries.
- Back and shoulder pain.
- Headaches from head and neck injuries.
4 Benefits Of Chiropractic Care For Athletes
- More effective training. Many athletes have stated that they can train more effectively after seeking chiropractic care. More than 75% of athletic trainers refer their players to a certified chiropractor. While all of them report that some of their clients seek chiropractic treatment on their own. Research shows that athletes can run more miles before running out of stamina.
- Improved performance. A misaligned spine may interfere with other body systems and their functions might be hindered. This can lead to a decline in athletic performance. The spine can keep working smoothly by regular adjustments which can boost the overall performance of your body. Research studies indicate a 6.12% improvement in performance after receiving chiropractic treatment. Also, a 30% increase in eye-hand coordination was observed 12 weeks of chiropractic care.
- Fewer injuries. Unnecessary stress is exerted on the body due to alignment issues and that can often result in injury. A certified chiropractic sports physician keeps the musculoskeletal system humming along smoothly so the body is less prone to injury. For instance, chiropractors help golfers in correcting postural imbalances in their swing which can help in preventing possible injuries.
- Reduced recovery times. Chiropractic treatment helps minimize the healing time required from injuries by relieving the irritation between misaligned vertebrae. Research studies show that chiropractic care helps athletes recover much quicker. Sports chiropractors use several techniques for promoting rapid recovery, these include,
- Stainless steel tools used to break down scar tissue.
- Massage and stretching, combined with range-of-motion movement.
- Electrical muscle stimulation to release tension near the surface.
- Functional dry needling to release deep muscle tension.
Athletes at all levels achieve optimal performance by seeking help from chiropractors. That is why professional trainers of top sports teams recommend and coaches of high school player strongly recommend them to see a chiropractor regularly.